In 1901, Eli A. Hesseltine, a book lover, began lending his books without charge. He then donated over a hundred books from his personal library and established a library in the basement of the old State Bank of Wilbur building. His stenographer took on the role of librarian.
After securing finances for the library through public subscription, Judge Hesseltine served as librarian until his death in 1915. Defunct municipal hall and fire station (now Tom’s Boat Shop) across highway from Sharp’s Grocery. The generosity of his widow, Mr. and Mrs. F. L. Farnsworth, Rollin J. Reeves, and others made it feasible. Mrs. Carrie Hesseltine was named librarian with a $200 annual budget.
The library remained open until l956 in the old city hall. Wilbur residents had been contributing to the construction of a new city hall for about ten years. The Civic Improvement Club has been working with the city for some years, raising funds for a new library that would be included in any city hall plans. Adolph Jarchow’s generosity in donating money to the town and the Civic Club enabled the construction of the new city hall and library facilities, which are still in use today.
Their goals are to serve as an information center for the residents of Wilbur and the surrounding area, as well as anyone passing by.
To provide a variety of instructional and recreational items.
Instill a passion for reading
To provide materials for people of all ages, with a wide diversity of perspectives, interests, and understandings.
We’ve teamed up to give more options for our customers.
Visit our website today at https://spokanepestcontrol.com/ to learn more about Wilbur, WA.